Translate

Monday, October 21, 2013

ON THE HUNT...

In every writer-to-be's life comes a point where he or she must send off their manuscript to others to read, and as one can imagine, it is nerve-wrecking as hell. I've been working towards this day for nearly two years, and my instincts are telling me that now is the time to take The Unseen to the NEXT LEVEL. For those who don't know, The Unseen is a psychological-slasher that tells the story of a group of college-aged friends who discover that their luxurious cabin is haunted by a soul-sucking entity that brings to life one's deepest and darkest fears. The novel is about acknowledging your fears and doubts, while still believing in the strength that you possess as an individual, as well as the strength that humanity possesses as a whole.

I spent the bulk of Sunday night researching about editors, what to expect from them and what they can expect from me, and I've compiled a couple of good sites along the way, which I will list at the end of this post. I am really excited because, yay, progress!, but at the same time, I'm almost as anxious. Not so much at the feedback I might get, because, well, criticism is kind of the whole point of this exercise... but the costs! So far, The Unseen is 293 pages long (in Word, selectively spaced). I don't know how much an editor would charge for a read, but I do know it's likely to exceed $100, which is... actually, incredibly reasonable. But still. How will I eat??

Oh, well. At the end of the day, I am willing to do whatever is necessary to make The Unseen the best it can be. I'd rather pay money for GREAT service than pay next to nothing for... well, nothing!

I'll be documenting my process here. Until next time...

- A Clyde

PS: Some editor communities I've found. If you know of any others, please, do share!

> Editorial Freelance Association
> Words into Print
> Independent Editors Group
> The Editors Circle


Random, but I've just had two bowls of Reese Puffs cereal, and now I'm full. -_-

No comments: